Friday, May 04, 2007

What I am Thankful For

This past week I had the pleasure of meeting some interesting people (mostly while turning on their sprinkler systems) and without even knowing it every one of them taught me an invaluable lesson. I met two older women who were recently widowed (one only three weeks ago.) There was a sense of sadness and loss in their eyes, but they taught me to love the people around you; because time with them can be fleeting. I met another woman who was so severely crippled by some disease she had to hold onto my arm just to walk around. She was not old, maybe in her 40's. She taught me to be thankful for my health. Everything I do is because I am a healthy person, photography, hiking, running, standing. I met a 92 year old woman, who was living on her own and was sharp as a tack. She still drove herself around, gardened and took care of herself. She taught me that age is not really a number, but a mindset. She was as vibrant and young as people half her age. I met an older couple, married probably close to 50 years. They taught me how important love is.

I try every day to let someone teach me something and I am always letting people's lives and experiences remind me of how lucky I am. This way I am constantly reminded of the things I am thankful for, and the blessings that God has given me; and I stop taking things for granted in my life. Everyone around us has so much to teach and offer, and all we have to do is slow down and listen. So thanks to all those people who teach me how to be a better person; even if they don't know they are doing it.

Over the course of the next few weeks I am going to write about all of the people in my life who have influenced me; Jessica, mom, dad, sisters, grandparents, friends, and total strangers. It is my way of showing them how grateful I truly am for their love.

No comments: