Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy 4th of July

Freedom isn't something that we think about all that often. But stop and think for a minute, do you feel free? I've been running a lot in the last few months (to try and get in shape) and sometimes I run with my watch and ipod. It's nice to know how long I've been out and it's great to listen to some music. But sometimes I just lace up my shoes and run out the door and it's so liberating because I am free from the hindrances of those things.

My friends and I took a backpacking trip last weekend and sure I brought my cell phone (even though it didn't work.) Sure we brought a GPS and a backpacking stove and a sleeping bag, but we didn't have a tent. I know some of you think I'm crazy right off the bat and that's fine. But being gone and away from everything for so long is truly an amazing feeling. Everything I need to survive, food, water, clothing was on my back and I carried it for 32 miles in some of the most rugged, pristine, and remote areas of Colorado.

But the larger point I am getting at is do you have freedom in your life? Certainly we are free in this country to do what we want, worship who we want and say what we want. But do you? Freedom is an amazing luxury and definitely a privilege that we have. Are you free to spend time with your family and friends? Do you have the freedom to get up and go spend a month in a foreign country? Do you have the freedom to take care of yourself properly?

I would say that if you don't feel free to do these or other things than you and only you are holding yourself back. So please don't hold yourself back. Get out there and do what YOU want to do and know is important.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day and weekend and thank you to everyone who has helped me in my life to achieve more freedom and happiness.

No comments: