Tuesday, January 15, 2008

How cold is 15 below zero?

Well let me answer that for you, it is extremely cold. I mean so cold your water bottle freezes inside your tent, so cold that your snickers bar freezes and almost breaks your teeth. The next question is why would I subject myself to such cold temperatures? As many of you know I am a hunter, and I spend many days a year with my dad out hunting. It has been a huge part of my life, and has helped to foster the great relationship between me and my dad. It has also taught me many lessons, as well as allowed me to spend some amazing time outdoors, which I love. This past weekend my good friend Jon came with us and I was so excited to have him come along and to share this great experience with him.

But it was really, really cold. And yes we did camp in a tent, although we had a nice wood burning stove which kept us pretty warm. We also had snowshoes which helped us while we hiked through the knee to waist deep snow. If you have never been snowshoeing I would highly recommend it. It is a great workout, but also a great way to get outdoors in the middle of the winter.

That's my friend Jon on the left, my dad in the middle and me on the right. We had a great time, but it was nice to get back to the warmer temperatures in town.


The snow here is almost waist deep, and all of the exposed plants were covered in thick ice crystals, it really was a cool sight.

2 comments:

Mikey said...

Random comment from the Flickster - I have seen your dad and your youngest sister at Bally's the last couple times I have been there. I was meaning to go introduce myself to your dad, but he is always busy when I'm taking a break and vice versa. Next time. . .

Keep plastering pictures on your blog, buddy. I love seeing your work. One of these days, Sarah and I will find one that needs to hang in our house!

Kevin Von Qualen said...

Hey! Love the new logo and Shelfari!!!

Great blog, great work. Keep in touch and hopefully we can finally hang out!