Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I met Ronald today.

I had the great pleasure of meeting Ronald today; he was the man who bagged my groceries at King Soopers. I said "thanks Ronald, have a great day." And he said oh don't worry I will. He then gave me some free advice; he told me to be happy with everyday that you have and he said "don't ever complain because it could be worse." He proceeded to tell me that he was in a serious car accident years ago and then spent the next year mad at the man who caused the accident. He said it wasn't worth it and that he wasted a whole year of his life.

He then told me that he also currently has cancer; but he didn't worry much about it. He thought working may help him get better. All I can say is that he was about the most content and happiest person I have met in a long time. He was probably 75 or 80, happy, smiling and willing to serve others. Not a bad way to live.

I try to step out of my own world everyday to get to know a perfect stranger; and let people inspire and teach me something. We get so wrapped up in our own lives that we forget to take the time to get to know the man bagging our groceries, or the bank teller, or the cashier at the gas station. So try and take that time because you just might meet Ronald.

No comments: