Sunday, June 24, 2007

Good Customer Service

So often today we receive bad customer service; rude people, automated phone systems, and sometimes a feeling that you can't rectify something negative that has happened to you. With that being said I like to take time and mention good customer service. My cousin Josh and I played 9 holes of golf this afternoon, there was a group of two ladies ahead of us playing very slowly. On the 5th hole the marshal came to us and said we were an entire hole behind, that we needed to speed up our play, and he told us maybe we should play from the shorter tees. It is his job to make sure everyone is playing quickly, and if we were playing slowly I would have no problem being told to play faster. However we were playing as fast as possible, his attitude towards us was very negative.

It made me mad, so after our round we went in and told the manager about our complaint. He was apologetic, said he would talk with the course marshal and gave each of us a free round of golf. I left the course happy, I felt that the situation was rectified and I will definitely play there again.

So many times we receive bad service and all we do is complain about it. If a manager or supervisor doesn't know then he or she can't fix the situation. I think it is important to voice your concerns when you do receive bad service; and it is equally important to pass praise along for good service.

I would definitely want to know if a client or customer was unhappy, because I would do everything to make that person happy again. So many business owners forget the old adage "the customer is always right." Business owners don't want to believe it, but it is so true. If you base your business around this saying you will be very successful.

No comments: