Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Do you really think I look 15?

My dad and my uncle own a sprinkler company here in Denver, Schaefer Lawn Sprinklers Inc. and I am working for them this month and next. They are extremely busy this time of year so I get to help them out and earn a little extra money in the process. My job is to go to people's houses and turn their sprinklers on, and make sure everything is working properly. I went to a house yesterday and the woman was showing me where everything was when she stopped and said, "I'm sorry but I just have to ask how old you are because you look about 15." I know I look young but, 15? Anyway I told her my age, and she said, "oh good, I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't your very first job." I informed her that my dad and uncle were the owners and I had been doing this all my life, she felt much better after that. She was a very nice lady, but seriously 15, I mean I drove to her house so I had to be at least 16. There are some pictures on my "about us" page on our website; and I would say I look older than 15. It doesn't bother me because I know I look young, but 15 threw me a little.

I really enjoy getting outside and putting in a long hard days work, it has always been very energizing for me. I come home covered in mud from head to toe, and I have no idea what Jessica thinks, but I make sure to not track any mud in. My dad and uncle have owned their business for 25+ years now, and I can say without bias that they are THE best sprinkler company in Denver. They have worked extremely hard to build their company, and they have never lost sight of the most important things.

My whole life my dad has owned his own company, I knew from a young age that I wanted to own my business. My dad has been the biggest and best influence in my life, it is because of him that I am able to start and run my own business. After all of these years I am realizing all the lessons he has taught, and everything I have learned. He wasn't just teaching me to fix a sprinkler head, he was teaching me how to be successful in business. He was teaching me to treat employees and customers with respect, he was teaching me to never lose sight of the most important things in your life. Sure I learned how to fix sprinkler heads, but I have learned so much more. My dad is such an important part of my life, he always has the perfect advice and knows exactly the right things to say. He is one of the most intelligent and humble people that I know. I am so lucky and blessed to have him as a father, and I thank God everyday for the great family that I have.

2 comments:

-Matt said...

They all tell you everyday "you're lucky to have such a problem" but as a 32 year old that still gets carded, still gets that "are you over 18?" and "you can't be in here unless you're over 21" stuff, I totally feel your pain. You won't "love" it until it changes. :) Everyone loves what they can't have, right? Young looking people want to look older, older people wanna look younger. Curly haired people want straight, straight haired people curl it.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.