Wednesday, September 26, 2007

People Who Inspire Me: Pop-Pop

I have been writing an ongoing series of posts dedicated to people who inspire me. I hope you enjoy it...

Pop-Pop was my grandfather, my mom's dad, and he was one of the most interesting and incredible people I have ever known. He was a music composer, a conductor, an artist, a teacher, a sculptor, a survivor and a great person. He faced cancer 5 times, and beat it four; had multiple surgeries and made it through every time; was in two horrible car accidents and survived both of them. He was twice a widower and through all of this he always stayed strong and had a positive attitude. He was always looking ahead, he never thought much about the past; always the future. He composed music into his 80's, did his morning exercises the day he died and always kept his sense of humor.

He was an honest person and always stood up for what he believed in. He treated people with the respect they deserved; all people. He had an incredible ability to strike up a conversation with anyone, anywhere and learn all kinds of things about that person. He was very good at seeing people for who they truly were and not just their skin color, or religion, or anything like that.

He lived an incredibly interesting, amazing and wonderful life. He was a great person, father, grandfather and husband. I miss him, but I know that he is in a wonderful place playing his trumpet and composing music and bringing life and happiness to everyone around him.

I think it is so important to remember to learn from the people who have gone before us and to learn from people that we admire. Here is a picture of him being honored at Loretto Heights College where he taught for almost 40 years.

2 comments:

stacyZ said...

Thank you for sharing. What a wonderful man.

I will see you soon friend.

stacyZ

Greg R Weckenbrock said...

good idea cappy. original, modest, as always you are. cappy-like.
your grandfather was a very admirable man.